A dirty microwave is not only unsightly, but the grease and grime caked on the walls and turntable can affect the taste of the food you cook in it.
Cleaning a microwave doesn’t have to be an unpleasant or time-consuming job. This simple and quick microwave cleaning hack will leave your messy microwave sparkling clean in 10 minutes or less without scrubbing or using harsh chemicals.
Baking Soda for Stubborn Mess
Cleaning a microwave with baking soda instead of harsh chemicals cleanses without scrubbing and absorbs odors.
- In a small bowl, pour in 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Add enough water to the baking soda to make a paste.
- Apply the paste to spills and hardened foods in the interior of the microwave.
- Let the baking soda mixture sit for 5-6 minutes until the spills are softened.
- Wipe up the spills with a wet sponge.
Vinegar and Lemon work a charm
The lemons in this microwave cleaning hack not only clean your microwave but leave your kitchen smelling fresh and clean. Ingredients:
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3-4 slices of lemon
- 1 small microwave-safe bowl
- 1 wood toothpick
- Cleaning sponge
- Dry paper towels
- Mix the water, vinegar, and lemon slices in the small bowl.
- Place the toothpick in the bowl.
- The toothpick will prevent the mixture from overheating and exploding.
- Heat the mixture in the bowl on high heat for 2 minutes until it boils and steams the microwave interior.
- Let the bowl set in the microwave for 10 minutes with the door closed.
- After 10 minutes, remove the bowl and wipe the interior with the sponge and dry with the paper towels.
A Simple Wet Towel
This easy method requires only one item in cleaning a microwave- a towel that’s free of any metal tags. Wet paper towels can also be used.
- Wet the towel and place it in the microwave.
- Run the microwave for 1-2 minutes
- Leave the towel in the microwave for 6-7 minutes until the dried food is softened.
- Use the cooled towel to wipe the spills up.
Clean with Vinegar & Baking Soda
Cleaning a microwave with this method works on tough stains and dried-on foods. It can also get rid of stubborn odors.
- Pour baking soda on the dried food and spills.
- Soak the sponges with apple cider vinegar and place the sponges on top of the spills (it will foam and bubble).
- Microwave the sponges for 25 seconds.
- Let sponges sit on the spills for 5-8 minutes.
- Wipe up the spills and dried foods with the sponges.
Dish Soap & Steam
Use the brand of dish soap that you have on hand. This microwave cleaning hack doesn’t require scrubbing or rinsing.
- Fill a small microwavable bowl with 1 cup of water and 1 teaspoon dish soap.
- Microwave the bowl for 1-2 minutes until it boils and steams up the microwave interior.
- Let the bowl sit for 3-4 minutes with the door closed.
- Remove the bowl and wipe the interior with dry paper towels.
How do you get Smells out of a Microwave?
Forgot about the left-over soup? Maybe your lasagna was left too long and ended up exploding?
We’ve been there, including elbow deep in a sticky cleanup job.
But overtime your microwave may develop unwanted smells from old food and bacteria buildup.
Here’s our quick tip for a cleaning a microwave of unwanted smells:
- Baking powder or bicarbonate of soda
- 1 bowl of fresh water
- Paper towels / dish cloth
- Clean the microwave using some of the methods above. Don’t forget the interior of the door, including any hard to reach spots. This is usually where sneaky food build-up occurs.
- Thoroughly dry the interior.
- Mix 2-3 tablespoons of baking powder in a small microwavable bowl of water.
- Run the microwave of medium for 3 minutes.
- Wipe down the insides and air out with the door open.
Whatever you use to bring your microwave back to life, we recommend thoroughly wiping down and drying the insides before making your next meal, just in case you don’t like the taste of lemon scented soup!